A bed with a lifting mechanism by one’s own hands: tools, materials, execution
In small-sized apartments tenants face the problem of insufficient space for comfortable furniture for rest and storage of bed-clothes. In a confined space of the room it is difficult to place all the necessary furniture: tables, chairs, curbstones, wardrobes, beds. A good solution to save useful space and the formation of an individual interior is the independent production of a bed with a lifting mechanism, which combines 2 pieces of furniture - a bed and a bed for bed linen.
Homemade comfort model is not inferior in quality and design to the subject of furniture made in production conditions, and sometimes exceeds its performance characteristics. For those who have some skills in making furniture, it is not difficult to create a modern functional bed with their own hands. The implementation is carried out in several stages: a sketch is created, a frame is made, a box is formed, the skeleton is placed on the bottom, a hoist is installed, a pre-purchased orthopedic mattress is placed.
Advantages and disadvantages of homemade furniture
Creating a bed with his own hands, the author forms the interior of his apartment, which meets individual preferences. The bed with the lifting block, made independently, has advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of the model with the lifting mechanism are:
- application of environmentally friendly materials;
- availability of a wide box for bed linen;
- equipment with a convenient mechanism that makes it easy to lift the unit;
- the possibility of making models of the required design, construction and dimensions, ideally suited to the dimensions of the space allocated for the installation of the bed;
- low material costs;
- simplicity of design;
- functionality: the bed with the lifting mechanism can be made built-in;
- used orthopedic mattresses allow during a dream to comfortably support the trunk;
- the ability to quickly and conveniently collect the bed;
- decreases the degree of wear and contamination of the laundry.
The shortcomings include:
- inaccessibility of the niche under the mattress during the rest of the person on the bed;
- duration of manufacture;
- with insufficient experience, unforeseen costs associated with the purchase of additional material due to damage to the main one can not be avoided;
- when making a double model, the spring mechanisms will not withstand heavy loads, it is necessary to apply gas ones;
- the possibility of only vertical lifting of the double model;
- For each type and weight of the orthopedic mattress, a certain type of lifting mechanisms is selected.
Required materials and tools, sketch and skeleton creation
Tools and materials are needed to carry out the model with the lifting mechanism:
- Phillips screwdriver;
- self-tapping screws;
- welding machine;
- electric jigsaw;
- a stapler;
- lifting mechanism;
- fabric for upholstery;
- foam rubber;
- metal profile of a square section 20x20 mm;
- PVA glue;
- orthopedic mattress.
First get an orthopedic mattress, taking into account the personal preferences of the owners. Then sketch the product, due to the size of the mattress. The sketch shows the composition of the bed with the side and end elements. The sketch looks like a box of 4 boards and 4 transverse parts to form the bottom under the frame. When you create a sketch, consider the size of the mattress. The mattress for an adult has a length of 180-200 cm, a width of 80-180 cm. The made steel frame will increase the performance characteristics of the model, which is especially important in the production of a double model with a large number of owners.
The frame is made of a steel section of a square section, in addition, several transverse supports are installed in the longitudinal and transverse frame elements in steps of 600 to 900 mm. The blanks are cut using a grinder, connected by a welding machine. Vertical racks can be placed in some points of attachment of the parts of the lifting mechanism. The frame-frame is equipped with a handle-ring of leatherette.
Forming a wooden box, installing a lift, upholstery
This stage of work includes the selection and purchase of a suitable finished lift for the product. It can be placed at the head, the function of the mechanism is to lift the mattress from the side of the foot end. In single and semi-double models, the lift can be placed in the side panel.
Now create a wooden box, which is a kind of container for the frame. Work is underway to cut the side walls and bottom of the model to the required dimensions, wood, chipboard is used, and an electric jigsaw is used. The ends are joined by corners using self-tapping screws, or the connection to the spike is carried out on the PVA glue, and it is necessary to check the diagonals. The box is ready. A frame is placed in it. Now the lifting mechanism is mounted, its function is checked, if necessary it is corrected.
The finishing of the outer surface of the side walls of the model is final during the manufacturing process. Used upholstery fabric, skin, dermatitis. Upholstery is done by means of a furniture stapler. Padding foam between wood and upholstery creates airiness, the required volume. Finally, the orthopedic mattress should be placed on the bed.
A unique bed, equipped with a device for lifting blocks, contributes to a good rest, becomes a functional piece of furniture, participates in the formation of an individual style of the interior.