How to remove old paint from walls
It is not always easy to remove old paint from walls. It should be borne in mind that the process may require more significant efforts than anticipated. Much depends on what composition was used previously, and also on the material of the surface itself. In each specific situation, the most appropriate method or a combination thereof is used to obtain a qualitative result.
- 1 Mechanical cleaning of walls from paint
- 2 Chemical method
- 3 How to clean the walls of an old water-based paint
Mechanical cleaning of walls from paint
The mechanical method is often used, because it allows you to clean the surface of the old composition quite well. A manual or electric tool is used for work. In the first variant, removal may take more time, but the base will receive less damage. The second method is characterized by the formation of dust and dirt, as well as the appearance of depressions and potholes on the cover.
Scraper is a special device that is used for manual removal of paint. In appearance it resembles an ordinary spatula, but differs by a pointed blade, which for convenience can be located at an angle. Identify the main types of tools:
- With detachable nozzle. This option has a thin sharpened blade, the way it is fixed depends on the manufacturer. This kind is suitable for cleaning putty or plastered surfaces. It is better not to use a tool with plastic parts that are subject to stress.
Scraper with removable attachment and reinforced handle with rubber insert for easy grip
- Whole. Most often it is a scraper-scraper, which has a sharp blade made of stainless steel. It allows to clean more rigid bases. A significant drawback is the possibility of appearing at the end of the notch, which leads to the need for more complex grinding.
Each option is suitable for a particular situation, but the varieties can be used together.
How to rip a paint with a scraper
Work scraper - a very tedious occupation, so it is recommended to use it in small areas, because the paint will not always be good to rip off. The principle of the tool is that in addition to exfoliating areas, the blade removes a small layer of plaster or putty, especially in well-entangled places.
Removing paint with a spatula or scraper is a laborious process, and often after this method additional cleaning is required
The scheme of the process:
- At the bottom of the wall, with the help of paint tape, the edge of the polyethylene film is fixed, which is distributed throughout the work area. The rest is rolled on the floor and folded to prevent the removal of dirt. It is mandatory to use protective glasses, because you can not predict the flight path of paint pieces.
- Cleaning starts from the middle, the scraper is placed on the most damaged area. This will allow you to move towards the corners. Movements should be intense, with increasing pressure. Avoid removing a large layer of plaster.
On a note! This method is well suited for the removal of water-based paints, especially on the basis of PVA. But because of the laboriousness for other compounds, a combined method is used.
Combination of heat treatment and manual cleaning
The thermal method of removing the old paint is perfectly combined with the use of a scraper or an ordinary spatula. This technology is suitable for more severe reasons. With its help it is possible to peel brick and concrete walls and metal sites.
Cleaning the surface of the paint with a construction hair dryer
It is necessary to clean off as follows:
- All elements that can be damaged by high temperature are previously removed. The place of work is prepared in a manner similar to the previous one.
- The cleaning device should be held in the main hand, and the heating device in the other. For work it is better to use a hair dryer, and this should be a special construction tool, and not a household version.
- Movements must be synchronous. That is, the selected area is preheated, after which it is cleaned. The place of removal of paint is constantly treated with jets of warm air.
The dryer can be replaced with a gas burner or a blowtorch. The surface literally burns, and the old oil layer is easy to clean. But their use is very unsafe, especially if the work is carried out in a residential building or apartment. Existence of fire-extinguishing means is mandatory.
Power tools for paint removal
Cleaning with power tools is a faster method than manual. But this method has a number of significant drawbacks:
- The process is accompanied by a strong sound, therefore it must be conducted at a certain time specified in the legislative acts.
- There is a lot of dust and dirt that can not be controlled. Protective clothing, goggles and a respirator are prepared for work.
When working with a drill and perforator it is necessary to take care of the enhanced individual protection, since with such methods a lot of dust is formed
- Depending on the devices used, the walls acquire various defects. Such a method does not apply to plasterboard substrates, it is used with caution for wooden surfaces.
Attention! The power tool requires safety precautions to avoid serious injury.
This tool is used quite often. The result depends on the selected nozzle:
- Brush. It is a set of thin metal villi, which when untwisted literally scrape off the surface of the old paint. But such a nozzle at high speeds is under heavy load, as a result of which cheap options are destroyed, which is accompanied by the flying of threads.
Metal brushes for surface cleaning
- Grinding wheel. There may be different granularity. For the initial removal of the old layer, a larger invoice is chosen, for delicate work - a smaller one. The circle is well suited for metal plots and wood.
To remove the paint with the help of Bulgarian, you must prepare the room: all the extra is removed or closed. The work is carried out with full protection, the movements must be uniform without unnecessary stops. Regardless of the nozzle selected, the process is interrupted at regular intervals to allow the appliance to cool.
Drill and perforator
These tools have a differently twisting element, so the nozzles are selected individually. The most effective:
- Crowns. The device has a jagged or abrasive edge, due to which during rapid movement it is possible to remove the paint layer. If the teeth are too large, then the base is likely to be damaged.
- Brushes. The action is similar to the nozzles on the bulgarian. Can be of different size and rigidity.
- Homemade devices. Often there is an option made of chains. The principle of operation is a strong mechanical action on the surface. This can be effective on old oil or alkyd coatings, but when removing acrylic paint, difficulties arise. In addition, this device destroys the wall.
Plus nozzles from chains - higher speed of removing paint and lack of dust, of minuses - trauma danger: large chain links, flying at high speed, can cause serious damage to health
Alternative can be a nozzle-chisel. Although it removes not only the top layer, but also the plaster.
On a note! For the drill and the Bulgarian there are many devices that have a removable abrasive, but they are not very effective for cleaning the paint.
How quickly to remove the paint? The chemical method makes it possible to erase the old layer from the surface of the walls quite easily and with little physical and time. For work different compositions are used, each has its own peculiarities. The remover can be in the form of a liquid, a gel or an aerosol. The choice of this or that composition depends on the surface to be cleaned.
Regardless of the chosen type of wash, the compounds work according to one principle: they destroy the paint structure, allowing easy removal of the old coating
Removing paint from wooden walls
For such coatings, the most suitable are liquid and aerosol materials. In the first case, the composition is applied to the desired area with the help of a brush, after which it is left for 15-20 minutes. Due to the chemical reaction, the coating literally rises and is easily cleaned with a spatula or scraper. In the second case, the agent is quickly sprayed from the can. Such solutions often have a higher concentration, which significantly improves the erosion of the paint.
Both options are unsafe for human health, therefore the work is carried out in protective clothing with constant ventilation.
Clearing of the coloring composition from the concrete base
When working with concrete, remember that the washings for such a surface are chosen taking into account the type of composition. Old coatings are mostly oil paints applied several times. In order to remove such a layer, an oil-based agent in a liquid or gel form is used.
The method of applying both compositions is identical. Work is carried out in gloves, a respirator and glasses, be sure to ventilate the room.
- With the help of a brush, the liquid is carefully distributed over the surface, it is important to treat all areas.
- To achieve the best effect, the base is covered with a polyethylene film.
- After the lapse of time indicated by the manufacturer, the layer is removed.
Surfaces need to be treated with white spirit and water to remove the chemical residue.
You should know! Solvents, which are used for the dilution of oil paints and alkyd enamels, can be used for washing old coatings.
How to clean the walls of an old water-based paint
Unlike the classical compositions, water-based emulsion can be removed with the help of improvised materials. To remove it, simple water is used or a soapy solution can be prepared.
In order to wash away the water-based paint faster, numerous scratches and incisions are made on the wall surface
- The prepared composition is applied to the surface, it is necessary to soak it with a liquid.
- After 10 minutes, repeat the procedure.
- Direct removal. The coating is washed with a sponge, water is periodically changed. Complex areas should be cleaned with a scraper or spatula.
The method is rather laborious and dirty, but more ecological and excludes the possibility of damage to the walls.