Self-leveling floor rake: which is better
The appearance and service life of the finish flooring depends on how smooth the surface is underneath. When starting restoration work, it is necessary to repair the plate and level the floor in a qualitative way, a self-leveling leveling device for a new generation floor will help.
Filling the base with a quick-drying solution is carried out not only at the stage of capital construction, but also in the process of cosmetic repair. In this article, we'll look at how to choose the right mixture for floor leveling and the technology for applying it.
- 1 Rovinite functions
- 2 Kinds of mixtures depending on composition
- 3 Types of mixtures, depending on the purpose
- 4 Advantages of Levelers
- 5 What to look for when choosing a mixture
- 6 Comparative characteristics of mixtures
- 7 Installation of self-leveling floors
Self-leveling self-leveling floors serve to eliminate defects in the slab and screed. In addition, they perform the following functions:
- elimination of defects and differences in height;
- installation of the upper layer of the rough floor;
- creating a smooth smooth surface;
- restoration of the old floor.
Self-leveling mixtures are easily distributed throughout the base area and are characterized by a fast setting time. You can walk on such floor after 5-6 hours.
Kinds of mixtures depending on composition
Floor razors are available in dry form and packaged in bags. Mixtures differ in composition: cement and gypsum, and for the purpose: starting, correcting and finishing.
For the installation of screed from 20 to 50 mm, cement compositions are ideally suited, which can be used in premises of any type and function. Sometimes microfibers are added to the mixture, which strengthen the concrete base and replace the metal reinforcement.
Use a gypsum equalizer only in dry rooms
Gypsum mixtures are suitable for use only in dry rooms. This material has the property of absorbing moisture and swelling with an excessive amount.
An increase in the volume of the base will lead to damage to the finish floor and may eventually cause deformation of the walls. Advantage is high strength and ductility screed thickness of up to 10 mm.
To obtain a more durable and durable base, plasticizers are added to the leveler.
Types of mixtures, depending on the purpose
Starting mixtures are applied with a thick layer
Depending on the purpose, self-leveling mixtures are divided:
- The starting rough ground leveler is available as a dry mix based on cement. In their composition, particles of coarse fraction are added, which strengthen the strength of the substrate when applied in a thick layer. They are used to eliminate significant defects, suitable for leveling the base with a large height difference, replace the screed. Compositions are produced, designed for the device of a certain thickness of the screed. The starting layer forms a rough surface requiring coating with the final solution.
- Correction compounds are used in the case when it is necessary to level the plate or the finished screed with small defects.
- The application on the basis of the finishing composition is the main condition for the durability and beauty of the floor covering. It consists of cement or gypsum with the addition of mineral components and polymers, which are able to form a homogeneous mass when dissolved in water.
For use in rooms with high humidity, special moisture-resistant compounds are used, in which polymer components are added.
Advantages of Levelers
Self-leveling floors can be a good base for finish with finishing materials
Self-leveling floors are more expensive than cement mortars, but they have many advantages:
- Used as starting and finishing coat;
- quickly dry without cracking;
- service life of more than 20 years;
- ease of installation;
- form a solid base, suitable for pouring floors with 3d effect;
- resistant to cold temperatures, plastic;
- special formulations for use in wet rooms are produced.
If you need to quickly level the floor and immediately begin to use it, then the ideal option is to use mixtures for the device floor. If the label indicates a particle size of 1.5 mm, this indicates that this compound is intended for mounting a conventional screed.
The mixture is considered self-leveling if it contains a fraction of less than 0.8 mm in size.
What to look for when choosing a mixture
To save on the purchase of material, before you go to the store, you need to clearly define:
- the required thickness of the screed, the difference in height and the presence of base defects;
- Wet room or dry;
- whether it will be a cosmetic leveling of the floor to 1 cm or if defects are to be removed and the screed is installed;
- what finish coat will be used at the end of the work.
The finishing leveler for the floor has a higher cost, so to perform rough repair work, you need to purchase a mixture for the initial alignment of the base.
Comparative characteristics of mixtures
To determine which is better to purchase an equalizer for the floors, let's consider the characteristics of mixtures:
|Options||Types of mixtures||Description|
|Components that make up the||Cement||Have a longer hardening time; suitable for use in wet rooms|
|Gypsum||Quickly dry; Not suitable for use in rooms with high humidity|
|Polyurethane||The base turns out to be plastic, does not crack with temperature drops, shock loads, vibrations; It is used as a finishing layer, it requires qualitative preparation of the surface|
|Cement-polyurethane||When applying such a solution, we obtain a strong, load and abrasion-resistant base|
|Cement-acrylic||Produced on the basis of acrylates, polymers, cement require experience in the installation, it is possible to fill a high screed without risk of cracking, form an even, strong, frost-resistant surface|
|Methylmethacrylate||Mixtures of MMA are made on the basis of methacrylic acid and methyl ester. It is characterized by a fast pour point, significantly increases the strength and resistance to humidity, is used in rooms with large cross-country capacity and at industrial facilities. The liquid solution is toxic, easily ignited, when it freezes, loses these negative properties.|
|Epoxy||Produced on the basis of epoxy resin with the addition of hardeners and plasticizers, a clear, smooth, durable surface is obtained. Used to create a 3-d effect and finish the flooring, produced compositions with anti-slip additives|
|Cover height||Self-leveling||For mounting the base layer|
|Having in the composition a lot of fillers||Are used for leveling the base and creating a decorative layer|
|Finish||Used for top layer device|
When choosing a mixture that is used for liquid floors in an unheated room, you need to purchase frost-resistant compounds. The material consumption per 1 mm layer is from 0.8 to 2 kg.
Installation of self-leveling floors
Pouring the floor with a leveler requires careful preparation of the surface. Depending on the type of finish coat and the condition of the base, we select the starting and finishing mix.
The quality of foundation preparation depends on the durability and appearance of the floor, so the first stage of leveling should be approached very responsibly. About the secrets of the filler device, see in this video:
Sequence of preparatory works:
- We remove the old flooring, inspect the plate for defects: depressions, cracks, protruding reinforcement.
- The edges of the cracks are widened by the bulgarian, we clean it from the peeling materials, the surface is wetted and we fill the irregularities with the starting leveler.
- If it is planned to mount the screed layer more than 2 cm, we apply a damper tape along the perimeter of the walls to the thickness of the self-leveling layer. It will serve as a compensation seam, and prevent the seepage from penetrating into the apartment from the bottom.
Priming the surface of the board is recommended before each stage of application of a floor leveler. Primer increases the strength of the surface and promotes a stronger bonding of materials.
Find the lowest and highest point on the bottom
If you plan to equalize the thickness of more than 10 mm or in several layers, you need to outline the height of the screed so that the floor surface is strictly in the horizontal plane.
How to properly markup:
- Find the lowest and highest points on the bottom. At a distance from the lower level, draw a label on the wall. We make markings along the perimeter of walls using a laser or water level.
- We connect the marks on the walls with a horizontal line, we obtain the projection of the floor.
- We set the guiding beacons so that their upper part is located in the same plane at the height of the planned thickness of the screed. We fix the guides to the cement slurry. For more information on how to make markup for filler surfaces, see this video:
Beacons are set in steps slightly less than the length of the tool for distributing the mixture.
Preparation of solution
Dry mixture gradually fall asleep in water
We fill the base with a starting mixture no less than 5 hours after the application of the primer.
To get a quality homogeneous solution, you need to gradually fill the dry mixture in water at room temperature.
For 6 liters of water you need a bag of a mixture weighing 25 kg.
The mortar can not be shaken by hand, therefore it is necessary to prepare a construction mixer or a drill with a nozzle in advance.
Mix the components in two stages:
- stir for 5-7 minutes;
- then leave it for 5 minutes to settle and mix for 3 more minutes.
Prepare a volume of solution that is consumed within 30-50 minutes, if you prepare a large amount, it will quickly solidify and become unsuitable for pouring.
Filling with a rough leveler
One coat dries up a day
Fill the floor start from the far corner with stripes between the beacons and distribute the surface rule. If we see that voids were formed, we add more mortar to these places and smooth them again, we follow the rule along the guides, like on rails.
If several layers are required, each layer of the mortar must dry for at least 24 hours.
After grasping the solution, the beacons are taken out, and the space is filled with a mixture and leveled. You can pour stripes through one, when we take out the beacons, the outer bands of the screed serve as guides.
To prevent uneven drying of the surface and the formation of cracks, it is necessary to protect the premises from the effects of drafts, sunlight and artificial heating.
The finishing mix is used to get a perfectly flat floor surface. Walk on the floor during its pouring polymer composition is needed in the paint with spikes.
The surface on which the mortar will be applied should be perfectly even, covered with 2-3 layers of primer. To protect neighbors from the bottom from leaking solution, it is recommended to lay a layer of waterproofing material.
The solution is prepared fairly liquid, so it does not require the establishment of beacons, it is applied in one layer and spreads well over the surface. For more information on how to fill the finish, see this video:
We divide the area of the room into zones, each site should be poured in for 15 minutes. The solution is poured from the far corner, leveled by the rule. Each section is poured to the desired height in one run, we pass through it with a needle roller to remove air bubbles. The polymer solution solidifies for 30 minutes.
The finish coat is protected from drafts, dries and mechanical damages, drying is carried out strictly according to the instructions.
Finish polymer composition is suitable not only to create a high-quality durable coating, but also with its help you can equip an image with 3D effect. When installing the base with a three-dimensional picture, the solution is applied at least 3-4 mm thick. Thanks to this unique development, it is possible to create a unique three-dimensional drawing on the floor.